Interior design is all about creating a functional and aesthetically pleasing space. One key element of achieving this goal is furniture selection. While design centers offer a range of furniture options, working with a custom furniture designer can be a better choice for interior designers. Here are a few ways I can help you design and build custom furniture for your clients that goes above and beyond what is available in your typical design center’s showroom
- Unique Pieces: I can create unique, one-of-a-kind pieces that are tailored specifically to the needs and preferences of the client. This allows for a more personalized and individualized approach to custom furniture for interior design projects, which is a key factor in creating a space that truly reflects the client’s personality and style.
- The train picture below is an example of how a piece can be tailored to your client’s specific needs and tell their story. This client had a model train from his childhood that he wanted to display in a unique way. The interior designer searched for premade and customized sizes of shelves, but the client turned them down. She hired me to work with the client to design a shelf that they loved. We made the shelf supports part of the train display by emulating a train tunnel.
- Design Flexibility: I can offer a level of design flexibility that design centers may not be able to accommodate. I can create furniture that fits perfectly into a specific space, considering factors such as size, shape, and function. This means that the furniture can be designed to match the client’s unique requirements rather than trying to make do with a pre-made piece.
- The example below of a nightstand illustrates this. The clients loved the bed they found at the design center, but the nightstands that came with the set were too wide for the space, too dark with the whole thing stained one color, and didn’t have the options they wanted. I redesigned the nightstand to fit the size they wanted and suggested we do a two-tone stain color to lighten the look. Then for the option they wanted, I inlaid a USB outlet in the back top shelf of the nightstand so they could charge their phones and tables.
- Quality and Craftsmanship: I pride myself on attention to detail, quality of workmanship, and the use of high-quality materials. I create furniture built to last, using traditional techniques and modern technology to ensure the finished product is beautiful and functional. In contrast, design centers still rely on mass production, resulting in lower-quality furniture lacking the attention to detail I can provide.
- An example of my attention to detail can be seen in the drawers on the desk pictured below. I pay special attention to the grain direction. If you look at the bank of drawers and follow the grain, you will see I selected a piece of wood with a beautiful grain and kept the drawer fronts in order so that follows grain flows from one drawer to the next. These drawers would not look nearly as cool if each drawer were from a different board. Mass-produced furniture lacks these types of details as the next board on the pile is used regardless if it has a grain that flows from one drawer to the next.
- Collaboration Working with a custom furniture designer allows for a collaborative approach to interior design. The designer and furniture maker can work together to create a cohesive and unified look throughout the space, ensuring that the furniture complements the overall design aesthetic.
- In the example below, I designed and built the front door to play off the design cues of the timber framing throughout the house. The designer for this project specified that the timber frame beams have supports at severe angles and tapers, which I mimicked in the front door’s panel design.
Working with a custom furniture designer can be a great option for clients who what that extra level of uniqueness and customization. The collaboration between the interior designer and furniture designer can create a functional and beautiful space that is unique to that client’s home.
If you want to see more examples of where I have collaborated with interior designers, check out my work. Custom Furniture Collaborations with Interior Designers